23 June 2016

My Fabulous Baker Boy


My Fabulous Baker Boy is my sweetie who has been doing more and more cooking and baking especially after we moved up here. He has been watching Alton Brown and learning how to make all sorts of things. He makes great home made pizza with the dough from scratch. YUM!

But.. back to the bookmark. I made this for him because of all he's been doing in the kitchen (he makes nummy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies from scratch, too) and he likes to read, too.

I wanted the bookmark to be on a single level to fit inside a book more easily, so I used masking, sponging, and water colour techniques.

Supplies

I had ordered this set a week ago with the intent to make my sweetie a book mark and some tags so he could give away some of his baking with a bit of style. In with the stamp set, Kimmie tucked in a package of wee adorable buttons of bakery confections, so I just had to add one of them, too.


To start off, I stamped on both the bookmark and some Post-It tape. My tape is 1" wide so I needed to double it to get the full image. Since I wanted to use the mask for more than just this one bookmark, I then covered the image on the tape with cello tape. This both reinforces it and makes it less smearable for the multiple masking duties. 


I fussy cut the mask...


... and put it over the bookmark's image.


To make the floor, I added additionally masking over both the bottom of the bookmark and over the stamp's mask. I marked the bottom of the wall and cut square-ish tiles to arrange on the floor.


I used Black Soot.with a blending tool to sponge on the black tiles.


Because I wanted the black tiles to be very black, I added a lot of the ink.


Taking the tile and wall masks off and leaving the boy/cat mask on, the floor is without true perspective, but still looks good.


I flipped the wall mask around to become the floor mask, placing it along the floor line.


I used Broken China and a bit of Shaded Lilac to sponge on the wall. Then I removed both the floor mask and the stamp mask. I noticed a white halo to the side so I put the stamp mask back on and used Shaded Lilac to fill that in and add an impression of a shadow to that side against the wall. 


I started the hair by adding in the lightest colour, Antique Linen, then the next lightest, Scattered Straw, and ended with the darkest colour, Vintage Photo. 


Using Distress in for watercolouring is easy. You just dab some on to the work surface, if it's plastic (like mine) or silicon. Then use that dab just like you would if it was in a pan. 

I mixed Antique Linen and Spun Sugar for his skin, Barn Door for the red buttons and other accents. I used Pumice Stone for his shoes and Vintage Photo with Walnut Stain for the coooookies. 


I used a thinned Black Soot for the pants (why do all kitchen workers wear black and grey checked pants), the kitty (we have a black kitty named Scout), and the shadowing on the white coat and hat.


I used the Fiskars Dot to Dot corner punch to give the top corners pizzazz, punched a centre hole, and added the red based cupcake from the Dress It Up buttons along with some red cord (I didn't have any thin red ribbon). I stamped the sentiment "You're So Sweet" with Versamark and added silver embossing powder. 


My sweetie is a fabulous baker boy. I'm happy I could surprise him with this bookmark.

Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps blog 22 June Wonderful Wednesday: Anything Goes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.