07 January 2017

Well Read Dragon


I've always loved books. I not only love a good story but I also have read many tomes of history, art, computers, science, cooking, and other non-fiction subjects. I've collected books in every place I've lived, mostly in English, but a few other languages as well (though, truth be told, I can't easily read the non-English ones). I also have a love of the colour red, so I decided to combine these two loves for a Well Read Dragon. (I also like homophones and puns, too *laugh*)

Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Saturday challenge: Fave Colour (red)
Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge: Start Afresh
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: New Something
Craft Gals Corner: Use Something New
The Crafter's Cafe: Monochromatic
Emerald Creek Dares: Bring On the New
Through the Craftroom Door: Anything Goes
Penny's Paper-Crafty: Anything Goes

Supplies


Putting It Together

For Christmas my dear friend gave me some crafting tools. She said she was thrilled to have a crafty friend and so spoiled me with brushes and a die set. For this card, I put the brushes to use. 

I also used a new stencil I bought a few weeks ago but hadn't yet tried. The stamp set I used for the sentiments was also new. The black embossing powder was new, part of the items I got from Emerald Creek for winning a "Dare" a few months ago for my Autumn masque. The bristle dome brush was one of a set I got as a door prize at my local scrapbooking shop, Country Lane and my first time using it. This was also the first time I used the pink stamp pad and the Tim Holtz watercolour cardstock. I even used a a Distress Stain for the first time. Lots of items in their first use *laugh*


I wanted to start with making the background. I decided to try one of the panels of Tim Holtz watercolour cardstock I got in the Watercolor Kit. I put some repositional adhesive on the bottom of the panel to attach it to my work surface.


I positioned the stencil and taped it down.


I pounced Spun Sugar Distress Stain over the entire surface then used a coffee filter to lift some of it back off.


I used one of the new stenciling brushes from the set my friend gave me to add Distress Ink to the panel: Worn Lipstick, Barn Door, Candied Apple, Aged Mahogany, and Picked Raspberry. While I have done similar technique with a blending tool, this was my first time using a stenciling brush.


After adding on the Distress Ink, I wanted some shine.


I used the bristle dome brush to add Perfect Pearls Pearl to the whole panel.


I added a bit more Distress Ink.


Then I took off the stencil.


I brushed Aged Mahogany to the edges.


With the background done, I turned to the stamping.

I first tried stamping and painting on another Tim Holtz watercolour cardstock panel. I didn't like the absorption of the wet ink into the paper. It's great for background techniques but not for my type of painting and controlling the blending. So, I went back to the Canson paper. Speaking of, I'm starting to run low.


I stamped the image with Angel Pink to do a 'no lines' colouring. I used the light pink since I would be painting in reds.


I painted the image in a variety of reds with greys for the belly. I added Perfect Pearls Pearl to wet ink on his belly to give it a bit of a leathery sheen. I used red glittery embossing powder for his glasses. 


I fussy cut the dragon and then added colour to the cut edges. 


The sentiment on the front is done with black embossing powder to give it a little dimension and better clarity on the background. The dragon was added with foam mounting tape.


I stamped a sentiment inside with Black Archival ink.



4 comments:

  1. Great card and the image and sentiment are perfect together.Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
    Regards,
    Ann-Marie
    TTCRD DT
    Annemi {My Blog}
    Through The Craft Room Door
    ttcrd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the background you created for your card. Love that little dragon too! Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

    Cathie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great card!!! love the sentiment! Thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful card! I love the background you created! ANd the dragon's belly is perfect! Thanks so much for sharing with us over at Emerald Creek Dares
    Cathy - Emerald Creek DT Member

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.