18 December 2017

Sing a Song - Through the Craftroom Door inspiration - candle surround with digital paper and die cuts


My inspiration piece for this week's Through the Craftroom Door challenge features papers by Décosse's Dynamite Doodles and die cuts from Impression Obsession.


With or without candles, the surround is magical with the Décosse's Dynamite Doodles Familiar Refrain paper.



Are you interested in digital sentiments, papers and other embellishments? How about a badge made especially for your blog? If these are items you are interested in, you are going to want to check out Décosse's Dynamite Doodles. My name is Lisa and with over 150+ posts of freebies to choose from, and new ones added often, I just might have what you are looking for. Along with the freebies I offer, I also create blog badges, digital paper packs and scrapbooking kits. Additionally, I'm so excited to now be sponsoring giveaways and challenges at other blogs. It is my honour to be able to sponsor this challenge for Through the Craftroom Door!
So, if you have the time, come and take a look. There is always inspiration to be found among my many different features. I'd love for you to pop by and visit me. I hope you have a blast!
http://decossesdynamitedoodles.blogspot.ca/



Putting It Together

Digital papers are very versatile. You can print them on different types of base paper for different effects. I decided to showcase that property in my project. I decided to make a decor item instead of a card so I could play with light.


I printed two of the Familiar Refrain papers back to back to make a 2 sided paper. I did this while I was still coming up with an idea, so I didn't use the 2 sided-ness as much as I could have. I used a slick, thin paper to give me some options. I heat set the ink after printing with my HP ink jet because of the slickness of the paper.


I printed the tan with black notes on  vellum to put in the windows for translucent paper with notes.


To make the rosette, I cut three strips 1 1/4" wide. I adhered them together to make one very long strip.


Using a Scor Pal, I scored every 1/2".


I folded the strip up and down to make a long accordion fold.  I adhered the two ends together to make it a loop.


When one side of the strip has the folds closer, the strip becomes a rosette. I put it on scrap paper with adhesive.


To firmly adhere each fold. I used a bone folder to run through each valley. 


I added glue to the edges and sprinkled on a bit of glitter. 


For the candle surround, I cut 2 pieces of Core'dinations glitter cardstock and scored them. My sizing was based on the dies I wanted to use for the windows. I then ran them through the Big Shot with a CC Designs die to cut the windows.


O used the cut out of the windows to trim my vellum. I made the vellum bigger than the window. I could have used a larger of the nested set to cut the vellum (and likely would in the future). 


I adhered the vellum on the back of the glitter paper, the inside of the surround. Doing all the decoration on the pieces while they're flat is so much easier.


The vellum printed with the Familiar Refrain looks great as a window.


I used dies from Impression Obsession for decorations: the silhouette Carolers, cut from the black glitter cardstock, and Patchwork Holly from the green Familiar Refrain and red foiled paper. 

I then adhered the two pieces together to make the surround. There's no bottom so it can be easily slid over top of a candle that's already lit. I use flameless candles for decorating so I don't have to worry about them. 

I'm rather happy with this project and like how it looks even without a candle, but there is magic with the candle light behind the vellum.








Challenges

Come join us for this week's Through the Craftroom Door challenge: Anything Goes
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas: Glitter
Pearly Sparkles: Merry Christmas
Happy Little Stampers with Dies: Anything Goes
Scrapping 4 Fun: Anything Goes
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Extra: Anything Goes

6 comments:

  1. Wow what an amazing project, all of the different elements are amazing. Thank you for sharing it with us at Scrapping4fun Challenge.
    Wishing you a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Majda DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful creation and tutorial
    Thank you for your entry at Scrapping4funChallenges
    Wishing you a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Rachelle DT
    http://scrapping4funchallenges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for entering both of my CHNC challenges with your lovely crafting - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. O wow.. this is just beautiful. Love ur tutorial too. Thank you for sharing with us at Scrapping4fun challenge.DT Priya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful luminary! Love the way you designed it! Thanks for playing with us at HLS anything goes with dies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done, and thank you for the wonderful tutorial! So happy you shared with us here at Scor-Pal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.