03 March 2018

Resilient - Single Layer with Embossing


Single layer card with dry embossing, Liquid Pearls, and sentiment stamps from a Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps set.

Putting It Together

Making a single layer card requires a bit of pre-planning but otherwise aren't that difficult. Though, if your planning goes awry, you might have to start over.


I wanted to use an embossing folder for a background and of a sentiment. So.. to have a flat space for the stamping, I used a diffuser, an EZ Frame from Darice. When used with an embossing folder, every place not covered by the plastic frame doesn't get pressure from the Big Shot and so doesn't emboss.

Using a diffuser, you will likely need to change the 'sandwich' and the shims on the platform. Using this frame with a Stampin' Up (Sizzix) embossing folder, I used the platform with all shims closed and only one cutting plate over the folder + frame with the folder + frame directly on the platform.


The unembossed area with a diffuser has a softer 'edge' around the unembossed area than an embossing folder designed with a flat space.


To give the flat space more definition, I decided to give it a frame. I used oval dies that are the same shape as the diffuser opening to trace a frame.


I used two dies because the width of one die was too wide for the frame I wanted.


I painted Liquid Pearls, Onyx Pearl, in the frame using a water brush. I built up layers of the pearly acrylic paint to add opacity.


To further define the edge of the frame, I used my bone folder to lightly score around the same dies I used to make it.


I stamped the sentiments with black archival ink for a crisp black and white card.




Supplies


Challenges

Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Saturday: Single Layer
Tuesday Throwdown: Black and White
Sketchy Challenge: Use a Frame
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps Make It: Jan/Feb release stamp sets (Happy Thoughts)
Addicted to Stamps and More: Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Anything Goes

4 comments:

  1. This is stunning!!! Absolutely fantastic textured background for framing sentiment. Thanks for sharing your card with ATSM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card, love the centre sentiment amongst the embossed card.Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your beautiful background and sentiment. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful!! Thanks for joining us at The Sketchy Challenges.

    groetjes, Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.